Not all skin is created equal, which is why there are a wide variety of products and procedures out there to help you perfect your daily skin care routine. However, for those of us that have been blessed with the gift of oily skin, it can be difficult to figure out what products and techniques will work best for our complexion. To make things easier, here are five basic tips to help you tackle your oily skin once and for all!
1. Cleanse often. If your skin is oily washing your face 2-3 times per day is recommended. This will help keep your skin free and clear from built up oil and dirt that can clog your pores. However, be careful not to wash with abrasive cleansers, as they can damage your skin and cause it to produce more oil, having an overall adverse effect.
2. Scrub away. While it’s important to monitor your cleaning techniques, scrubbing and exfoliating are highly recommended in moderation. Scrubbing lightly once a day can help remove dead skin cells, preventing acne and blackheads from forming.
3. Tone daily. Working an alcohol-free toner into your daily cleansing routine can help get rid of excess oils and keep your skin smooth and clean. Try to find a toner that contains rosewater for the best results.
4. Remember moisturizer. You may think that moisturizing is counterproductive on oily skin, but you’re wrong! Without moisture your skin will actually produce more oil to compensate for the lack thereof. When purchasing a moisturizer try to stick with something oil-free and water-based.
5. Wear sunscreen. Like moisturizer, the pros of sunscreen outweigh the perceived — and often untrue — cons. While many applying SPF will only intensify oily skin, skipping a sunscreen application makes your skin susceptible to a variety of skin discoloration and damage issues.
While you’re busy perfecting your skin care routine and are paying such special attention to your skin you may notice some sagging, drooping or discoloring that you’d rather live without. Lucky for you, Island Plastic Surgery has a variety of procedures and treatments to firm skin and repair damage caused by aging or exposure to the sun.
As if leg and underarm hair weren’t bothersome enough, many women also experience hair growth in countless other unwelcome areas. Here are some of the most common strange places that unwanted body hair can occur, and a few tips to help you say good riddance!
Chin & Lip – Thanks to shifting hormones, many women discover some surprise hairs on their chin or upper lip as they age. While a quick pluck of the tweezers can do the trick if the sightings are small, denser patches of hair might be better served by threading.
Back – Menopause will cause hormones to produce hair growth in many places where women don’t normally expect to see hair, like their back. While they are normally just strays, they can be quite an annoyance. Luckily they can be easily removed by a DIY or professional waxing session.
Nipples – Every once in awhile you might find a random hair or two lurking around your areolas. Tweezing should be enough to handle occasional rogue hairs, but sometimes other methods are warranted.
Navel – Hair on the abdomen doesn’t discriminate when it comes to age. Any woman, anywhere can grow hair underneath her belly button, and many do. Purchase a waxing kit or visit your local salon for a quick wax and you’ll be good to go!
Knuckles & Toes – Puberty usually brings this unwanted gift that can last a lifetime. Luckily waxing or plucking can help get rid of knuckle and toe hair in a flash.
While waxing, threading and tweezing are all acceptable ways to manage unwanted hair growth, they can also be very time-consuming and costly. If you’re ready to take care of your embarrassing, rogue hairs once and for all, laser hair removal is the obvious choice.
At Island Plastic Surgery we offer laser hair removal services for any area of the body with our Bare BBL procedure. Bare BBL uses pulsed light to deliver photothermal energy to your hair follicles, causing them to cease hair production without harming the surrounding tissue. The process is quick, easy and requires virtually no down time at all.
While sugar may make your taste buds jump for joy, studies have shown that it can be toxic for your body in more ways than one. Here are some of the most frightening facts about the way that consuming excess sugar can affect cause damage to your body.
Sugar causes diabetes. Based on research, every additional 150 calories of sugar that a person intakes beyond the daily recommendation increases their chances of becoming diabetic by 1.1%.
Sugar increases risk of heart disease. As you now know, consuming large amounts of sugar can cause diabetes, which is closely related to heart disease and stroke. In fact, statistics estimate that 65% of heart disease and stroke related deaths are also accompanied by type 2 diabetes.
Sugar strains the veins. The overabundance of insulin that is dumped into the bloodstream from sugar causes blood vessels to grow and swell, tightening up your veins and potentially causing clogged arteries, damaged veins, stroke and even heart attack.
Sugar is addictive. There’s a reason people love sugar, and that’s because it causes a release of feel-good chemicals in the brain. However, over time people develop a tolerance to the euphoric effects of sugar, leading them to intake more to get the same “fix.”
Sugar increases appetite. Eating sugar in excess confuses the brain, hindering its ability to tell when you are full. This means you’ll always feel famished which can lead to overeating and obesity.
Sugar ages your skin. When it enters the bloodstream sugar has the potential to create harmful molecules that attack your skin’s collagen and elastin, resulting in wrinkled, sagging skin. It also makes your skin more susceptible to sun damage.
Do you have a sweet tooth? Don’t worry! According to the American Heart Association consuming sugar is alright as long as you stick to a maximum of 37.5 grams per day for men and 25 grams per day for women, with no more than half your daily allowance coming from added sugars. You’ll just have to choose wisely!
At Island Plastic Surgery , our number one goal is to help you look and feel good. That is why we offer a variety of surgical and non-surgical procedures to help you get the body and smooth skin you’ve always wanted. Our advanced technology, combined with your continued fitness efforts will have you looking and feeling great in no time!
Just because bikini season is over doesn’t mean you should be neglecting your bikini line. In fact, the winter months are perfect for fine-tuning your bikini shaving technique to avoid those itchy red bumps and skin irritation. Just follow these simple steps and you’ll be smooth, hair-free and feeling fabulous in no time!
1. Make the investment. While it may be tempting to grab a 12-pack of disposable razors, especially during winter when shaving is less frequent, purchasing a high quality razor is key for getting that perfect shave. Remember, the more blades it has the more gentle the shave will be.
2. Soak before you shave. If things have gotten a bit out of hand, before reaching for your razor give the area a good trim. Then, clean and soak the area in warm water for 10 minutes. The warm water will help soften the skin making shaving easier, combating unwanted razor bumps.
3. Use shaving cream. Every time you shave you’re dragging a razor across your skin’s surface, which can be very irritating if you don’t lubricate the area properly. Say no to bar soap, shampoo, and any other makeshift options and go straight for the shaving cream, which is specifically manufactured to protect skin from irritation and abrasion.
4. Perform aftercare. Applying an anti-redness serum and light moisturizer will do wonders to keep your bikini line bump-free post-shave. As a rule of thumb, products made with essential oils or aloe will yield the best results.
5. Keep your razor clean. No matter how many precautions you take, nothing will prevent irritation or infection if you don’t keep your razor clean. Be sure to sanitize your blades with rubbing alcohol and warm water after each use and look out for rusted blades that need replacing.
…On the other hand, if you’re tired of having to shave your bikini line and are interested in learning about an alternate solution laser hair removal treatment might be perfect for you!
At Island Plastic Surgery we understand how important it is for women to feel comfortable and confident within every inch of their bodies. That’s why we offer a large selection of aesthetic enhancing and altering treatments, including out Bare BBL Laser Hair Removal technique.